Sunday, March 7, 2010

Thing 11

Thing 11 showed me I still have a lot to learn about blogging and computers in general.

As I read Sue Caudell's posts I noticed how she copied the questions from the assignment and then stated her response below. For the type of blog we are working on, I think this is a great way to make sure you are covering all of the questions. I think it is also helpful to the readers because then they know what you are responding to.

As I read the WB4All's blog, I noticed how she linked resources to her posts. I think this is very helpful and is a great way to provide additional information to those that are interested. In her blog she had words in a different color that you could click on and it would take you to additional information. I asked my husband how she did this and he told me they were hyperlinks. I guess I have something else I need to learn now too. I just learned how to do a link during this class. Wow! I am feeling computer illiterate.

Now on to the questions!

What do you like/dislike about leaving comments?
I like that you can add your thoughts and can ask questions. I feel it is a great way to connect with people who are experiencing the same things as you. I did not have anything I disliked about it.

How did you feel when you received your first comment?
My first comment was from Resa. I just watched Julie and Julia last night. If you have seen the movie, Julie is ecstatic when she receives her first response to her blog. I think receiving a response lets you know that someone is reading and it validates what you are working on.

Why do you think commenting is so important in online communities?
Commenting encourages the person who is writing the blog. It lets them know someone is reading and gives them a sense of purpose. Commenting also facilitates discussion and helps people learn from each other.

What might this mean for students who share their writing on line?
My first thought is that they need to be tough because not everyone is nice and they may need to learn how to handle criticism. However, I also think it could be a good tool in the classroom for encouraging discussion. Blogging anonymously may help the students who are more apt to not share in class to share and bring new insight to discussions.

1 comment:

  1. You may feel that you have a lot to learn (don't we all?), but just think about the great progress you've made in the last few weeks. Reading other participant's blogs is one of the best ways to expand your learning as you've discovered.

    ReplyDelete